3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup Kirsch brandy
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, shredded
1 French baguette, cut into bite-sized cubes
2 crisp apples, cored and cut into bite-sized cubes or slices
2 pears, cored and cut into bite-sized cubes or slices
1. Heat wine in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering.
2. Stir in heavy cream and bring back to a simmer.
3. Mix cornstarch and brandy in small bowl. Slowly add to cream and wine mixture and let thicken slightly.
4. Season with salt and nutmeg.
5. Slowly add Swiss and Gruyère, 1/4 pound at a time, stirring frequently until melted. Serve hot with French baguette, apples, and pears.